Child Life at CHLA
Thank you for visiting to find out more about Walk LA and Child Life at Children's Hospital Los Angeles!
More children receive care from CHLA than any other hospital in the region—CHLA often provides hope for children when other hospitals run out of medical options for their care.
The Child Life department works in partnership with physicians, nurses, social workers, and other members of the patient care team to meet the developmental, social, and emotional needs of patients, their siblings, and family. We help patients cope with the stress and uncertainty of illness, injury and hospitalization when they need it most.
Child Life Specialists:
- Explain procedures in language that children understand
- Introduce coping strategies to reduce anxiety
- Distract scared children during medical procedures
- Encourage playtime and foster a spirit of fun during challenging circumstances
- Involve the entire family in the patient’s hospital experience
- Provide bereavement care and support
- Create developmentally appropriate communication skills for physicians and nurses
This walk is so important to us because everything you contribute to our team will go directly to the Child Life department's needs. We appreciate all your support in helping us make a difference in the lives of many young patients and their families!! Any amount, great or small, will help us create hope and build healthier futures for the families of Southern California and beyond.
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.